Friday

Skiing for the first time

As someone who enjoys hill-walking and trail running in the UK, I can’t help but feel disappointed as the weather starts to turn grey and miserable with the onset of autumn. As the skies become overcast, biting winds and thick fog envelop the Brecon Beacons near my home and suddenly the thought of heading for the hills just doesn’t have the same appeal that it had just a few weeks ago. But this year I have decided to embrace the colder climate and, for the first time in my life, I am going skiing.

It was a fairly spontaneous decision. A friend told me he would be spending some time in a French ski resort called Les Gets this winter and asked would I like to join him for a week and have a proper chalet holiday. There's only one answer to that question! So, before I know it we’re browsing the internet looking for our dream ski lodge. The choice is almost overwhelming, but through a ski holiday agency called The Chalet Experience, we booked to stay in a cosy-looking lodge called Chalet du Coin. Immediately, I was feeling giddy with anticipation.

Then suddenly it occurred to me that I know nothing about skiing and have none of the clothing I will need. My companion is a great skier and has offered to give me some lessons and organise my lift pass and ski hire while he's out there. But I'm going to need good clothing, and I immediately started doing my research. So, for what it's worth, here's a beginner's guide to buying ski gear.

mens ski salopettes
Ski Pants

Looking at a rack of thick, black trousers, don't be fooled into thinking that price and branding are the only differences between them all. Reading around the subject, I've discovered that there are many variable to consider, and that getting the right pair of ski trousers (or salopettes) can be really important. The right type of trousers for you will be dictated in no small part by the type of activity you will be undertaking.

If you anticipate doing plenty of hard skiing, then you might want slightly less insulation than someone who is planning a more leisurely time on the pistes, with frequent stops letting the cold back in. An active skier will want insulation which can wick perspiration away from the skin, helping to keep you warmer for longer. Also, trousers with an articulated knee shape (i.e. bent knees) will make for a comfortable fit when you're skiing, but won't be so important in the local bars and restaurants.

A high back on your trousers isn't just for when you're sitting on a frozen ski lift: it can stop snow from filling your nicely insulated trousers when you fall over, and so prevent their nicely insulated contents from being frozen!

mens jackets
Jacket


Ski jackets again come in many varieties, but I will focus on three main options. First, the warmest of the warm, is a thick down jacket such as the men's Trespass Igloo Down Jacket displayed on the Chelston Direct website. Thick and very well insulated with down and feather, this option will keep you very warm indeed; ideal for learners like me, but perhaps more bulky than you needs if you do lots of intensive skiing.

A second option is a simple waterproof shell, like the Jack Wolfskin Positron. This offers no insulation of its own, but has the advantage of allowing skiers to add as many 'mid layers' as they wish. This allows you to adjust the level of insulation according to changing weather, activity or other circumstances.

Finally, and most commonly, there is the parka-style classic ski jacket, which offers in-built insulation as well as a waterproof shell. This is less adaptable than the layering system, but is a great compromise if you want to take one jacket for the whole skiing holiday, without the bulk of a down coat.

With a good hat and some suitable gloves at the ready, is it too early to start packing?

No comments:

Post a Comment